Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Armenian Lavash


I have found two types of "lavash" in Russia -- Georgian and Armenian. Georgian lavash is more or less like Central Asian flatbread -- relatively flat leavened bread. Armenian lavash, on the other hand, is like a giant tortilla. The picture I have here is of Armenian lavash made in a tandir (clay oven), so it has darkened spots from the high heat of the oven. Lavash not made in this way is more homogenously white and looks exactly like a tortilla (although larger)! In fact, it is made with flour, water, and salt, just like a tortilla! Versions of lavash are also eaten in Iran, Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbaijan.

Although lavash is often eaten with kebabs as a kind of wrap, I personally enjoy mine by itself with a little melted butter spread on top. They could also be used as tortillas to make Mexican food, but I haven't tried that here, since my favorite part of Mexican food is cheddar cheese and is pretty difficult to come by in Russia. The lavash dries out quite quickly, though -- faster than tortillas -- so you have to eat it fast!

2 comments:

  1. I've never had Armenian lavash but I vividly remember the first time I tasted Georgian lavash. I was in seventh or eight grade and still living in Moscow, and I had a classmate, Rita, who was from Georgia. One day Rita and I were leaving the school building and saw her mom, who was coming to pick up Rita and her younger siblings. Rita's mom pulled a freshly-baked lavash out of her bag and tore off a large piece for each of us. It was still warm, and so tasty in the cold early-spring air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo -- yum! It's great when it's still hot, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete