Friday, December 18, 2009

Ikra


Many people know the Russian word "ikra" as "caviar," but in fact, it is also means vegetable puree/pate. I have not been able to figure out the reason for the use of the same word to mean both things, but I'm guessing it has something to do with "ikra" being a spread of some type (?).

I like several versions of vegetable ikra very much. One is made with eggplant and the other with squash. The pictures in this post are of the squash version. The ingredients are squash, onions, carrots, tomatoes, vegetable oil, and a little cayenne pepper.

Many people make homemade ikra, and I used to love my host mom's baklazhannaya ikra (eggplant ikra) in Uzbekistan. The process of making ikra basically involves stewing a mixture of vegetables. Most people make a large batch and then can the extras for use during the wintertime, when fresh vegetables are more expensive.

Store-bought versions of ikra are also quite good, however, and usually do not contain many extra preservatives or artificial ingredients. The "Veres" version in these pictures is relatively inexpensive but good. As you can see below, it is basically a puree of vegetables with a rich flavor.

Ikra is good on bread or crackers, and I enjoy it on top of rice or pasta. I have heard that many people also use it as a sauce or type of marinade for meats. Although the picture below may not look too thrilling, the vegetable ikra itself is delicious!




3 comments:

  1. I love eggplant and squash caviar! As a matter of fact, I have a batch of home-made eggplant caviar sitting in the fridge now. Squash caviar I've only eaten store-bought - for some reason my mom/grandma never made it at home. I am not sure why it's called "caviar" either. My theory is that it's because of the round eggplant and tomato seeds that resemble fish eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick follow-up: I talked to my mom on the phone tonight and she told me that she had just made some squash caviar and it turned out really good! She will share the recipe with me when I come to visit in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make "Ikra" with green, yellow, waxed beans, carrots, red and green peppers, onions, tomatoes, vingar, oil, and ketchup. Stew in large pot and then I perseve it.
    Fresh ingredients are best but canned will do as well in the winter. I have "Ikra" on a regular basis with pork, beef, or as a spread when company comes. Enjoy Carly.

    ReplyDelete