Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Qovoqli Manti


When I lived in Uzbekistan, my host mom used to make me delicious homemade qovoqli honum (is this the correct spelling??), which is a steamed, rolled dumpling filled with pumpkin. I recently had the chance to eat at an Uzbek restaurant in Tatarstan and was excited to see that they served qovoqli manti, pumpkin-filled dumplings that are similar to honum.

These qovoqli manti were delicious and tasted very authentic, minus the chunks of beef fat I sometimes found in pumpkin manti in Uzbekistan. I am used to eating manti and honum with qatiq (a type of plain yogurt) on top. Here they were served with an herb yogurt, which was also delicious.
In addition to manti, we had Uzbek flatbread and black tea that the server poured into a teacup and back into the pot three times, as is a tradition in Uzbekistan. The food was served on traditional blue-and-while Uzbek china, and in the background there was Uzbek music playing. All of this made me miss Uzbekistan and my friends there!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooooohhhhhhh, my goodness! That must have been a walk down memory lane. The herb yogurt sounds interesting.

    I made pumpkin manti for david and he loved it. I tried to make pumpkin burak but I guess I did not seal them properly and all the pumpkin came out while they boiled. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I've had a similar experience... :) Did you use canned pumpkin? It's so hard to find good pumpkin in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete